Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 20: Puff Pastry


Wow does time fly! All ready I am done with Choux the test came just 5 days after starting the unit and it had come and gone. We did get to make something that I have been wanting to try for a while, a croquembouche. Literally translated it means " crunch in mouth". It is the traditional french wedding cake. A tower of stacked cream puffs dipped in caramel and decorated with piped choux and spun sugar. Finally I get to be creative!

I also had the great opportunity to go to a demo held by Nils Noren who was a contestant on top chef masters. He made the meal that he made on the show for us and it was all very good. He also demonstrated a lot of the new cutting edge technology in the industry such as sous vide, agar agar clarifying, and vacuum cooking.

Next stop on this adventure? Finding an internship! I have been so bored because I'm used to being so busy all the time. Deciding on doing a restaurant or cake design internship was difficult since both offer such different learning experiences. I decided to first apply to a cake design studio for an internship since those are the most competitive in the city. So I whipped up a resume and sent out some pictures to Mark Joseph cakes. So now I just cross my fingers and wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions