Monday, August 24, 2009

Unit 2: Pate a Choux




It's bye bye tarts (at least for now!) and hello Pate a Choux! not sure what that is? It's commonly known as cream puff dough. And wow is it trickier than it looks. Choux is the only french dough that is cooked twice. First you cook it over the stove in a pan, and then you bake it in the oven.

The first thing we made was eclairs, yumm my favorite! We made chocolate, vanilla, and coffee eclairs. And yes I did take a few of those back to my dorm for a snack they were very good. We also made a traditional dessert called the Paris-Brest. Which is a choux ring filled with a buttery praline pastry cream. My mom and grandmother met me at the train station to take me home for the week end and we devoured that on the drive home.

Today we made a very special dessert. The Gateau St. Honore. Translated this means the cake of St Honore, who is the patron saint of pastry chefs! cool huh? This was probably the most challenging piece we have made so far. It had a Pate Brisee ( flaky tart dough)base with rings of choux piped in rings over that and caramel coated choux balls around the edge. It is then filled with a chiboust which is a vanilla pastry creme lightened with an Italian meringue.

This is a very short unit. I can't believe our test is all ready in two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions