Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 9




Yesterday I started volunteering at an organization in New York called God's Love We Deliver. It is a not for profit organization that prepares and delivers meals to home bound HIV patients with severely low immune systems. I had a good time despite cutting my finger. Everyone there was so upbeat and fun and it's great to just go to places like that and give back whenever I can.

I think this week is my slump week. I have had my bad days like when I cut my finger or when those in charge of baking forgot to bake my tart yesterday and it never got done. And yes I have even been homesick at times. No I still haven't fallen in love with city living just yet. But I am still very glad that I am here and so anxious to just keep learning.

Days are getting even busier now that we are done with sanitation class. Today we made lemon tarts and meringue then got to torch them with big welding torches! I'm liking our projects that include fire haha. We also made a nut tart which was very good maybe even my favorite tart we have done so far. Oh and the cookies! gingersnaps, and the oh so yummy fig newtons! We also made candied citrus peel and had a lecture on the three different types of meringues. There's so much science that goes into everything!

After School I had the pleasure of going to a food demo at the international culinary theater which is conveniently just down the hall from my class room. Today the demo was by chef Aaron Sanchez from the food networks melting pot and Chefs vs City. Not only was his food amazingly good! ( I now know how to cook duck and I can't wait to try it!). He also seemed like a great guy and was very caring and open to share all of his knowledge with us. It is great to be in such an environment where everyone is working towards our ( the students) overall success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions