Monday, August 3, 2009

First Day!


Today was my first day in class and wow was it quick and exciting. After getting changed into my oh so cute uniform, we headed down to the kitchen to await instruction.

Chef Tom an Chef Mike were to be our first instructors. After giving us the rundown on the classroom procedures and school rules we had a brief lesson in sanitation and safety. Then it was time to start cooking! Yes, on the first day. They made it very clear that this is a very fast paced program and thus we will always have to be moving quickly.

Our first recipe was Pate Sucree which is a sweet tart dough (Boy am I glad I took French!) this is one of many recipes that will have to be memorized for tests. The instructors worked closely with us to make sure we were doing things right and all on time. In between everything we do we had to watch a demo, clean up our workstation, do our dishes and sanitize.

We then had our lunch break and had our family meal that the level 3 culinary students make for us each day. Our chef instructors shared with us that sometimes the meal is really good and.... sometimes its really not.

After lunch we worked on our knife skills and learned the proper way to peel, core and finely dice apples. This went into our next recipe which was compote de pommes. ultimately both of these recipes will go into an apple tart that we will be finishing up tomorrow.

Oh but before I forget perhaps the best part of today was getting our tool kits. It was like Christmas as we opened them up and inventoried all of our new equipment. Lots of which has been on my wish list for a while. Especially a brand new Silpat and microplane! I labeled all of my equipment in pink and yellow tape to identify that it was mine. I hope nobody else has the same color combo!

Well now I have to go work on homework and read ahead in my book so I know what to expect tomorrow! I don't think I've ever been this excited to go to school. Yes Chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions