Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Benefits of a Great Internship


My time so far at Jacques Torres Chocolate Heaven has taught me a lot. I have found such a new appreciation for chocolate and all the thought that goes into each bar. There is certainly never a dull moment there. Chef is always running around and playing jokes on people. And there is always a side project going on whether it's building shelving units for the new store in Chelsea Market, leading children through the factory on a tour, or busily getting ready for a demo that chef is holding somewhere.


Ans that is just what happened one Saturday afternoon. As Chef was busily preparing himself for a class he was teaching at the New York Culinary Experience being held at my school. This event is held by the New York Times to help raise money for charities. Local foodies spend large amounts of money to take classes with celebrity chefs it surely was a star studded event.


Well as Chef talked about all of the things he had to get done to prepare for the event I thought to myself Hello this is an opportunity!!! so I asked him if he needed any help. And he quickly replied " sure, if you want to go meet me at school tomorrow morning I always need help."


It was a great experience I not only learned a lot from what Chef was teaching the class but I got to work one on one with a lot of them and help them with their recipes. It reminded me of how much I used to love helping out with the younger home economics classes in high school. And makes me think that down the road teaching the very thing I love to do so much may be a really good idea. Who knows maybe that will be an adventure for another day. Yet another vision for the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions