Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sugar!




Our next unit was sugar. The thought of stretching and pulling hot molten sugar amazed me and I was excited! We first practiced making poured sugar and with that I made a poured sugar fish. Next we learned how to make pulled sugar decorations of course I was most excited to make a rose with this new medium!! Sort of like babysitting one always needs to watch the sugar when under the heat lamp if you don't they will melt too much and crystallize and ruin the batch, and we wouldn't want that would we?




Next we got to make some blown sugar, I have always been fascinated with the blown glass at the corning museum so I thought that this would be a lot of fun. And it was! I made several different color bubbles and even a little blown bird! Then we made a magnificent Christmas sugar showpiece towering 5x5 feet and 4x3 feet and my task was to make the angel for the top of the Christmas tree.




What was more intimidating than that was that when it was all finished I had to put it on the top of the Christmas tree. And well I'd liked to say that it didn't break but when it started to lean my friend fifii went to catch it and half the tree came crashing down. Yes it was sad but that's how things work in pastry world. You spend a lot of time making it and then its gone just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions