Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Menu of My Own
















As we continued on to our 3rd level of plated desserts there were other things on our minds. And that other thing was our future. A somewhat far off future for me. The assignment was to design a plan and an executable menu for a future place of business that we can see ourselves actually opening. This was a lot to think about. what kind of place do I want? What is important to me?

What did I come up with? "The North Star Inn at Lorenzo" A country Inn serving brunch and dinners in Cazenovia's Historic Lorenzo Estate. With overnight guests and a reputation for wonderful home cooked pastries. The real focus for the restaurant though is to promote sustainability and seasonality with a dedication to representing and promoting local family farms and small businesses. I even brought in several samples of locally grown products that I bought from Nelson Farms.

After we all did our business pitches to the class the chefs chose two items on our menu and we had to make it and plate it exactly to our diagram. The Chefs chose a Pumpkin and Gingerbread Parfait with Cinnamon and Anglaise. And a Rum Mocha Roulade with a Cranberry Drizzle. The plating went very smoothly and the Chefs said they both tasted great.

This project was my baby, and possibly even my future. But who knows, I fully expect my plans to change a million times. But the devotion to sustainability will remain the same. We need to know where our food comes from and how gets to our plate. Think about it. Do you have any idea where that chicken your eating came from? And I don't mean the super market.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments and questions